A favicon is used to show your website image or logo in the top of the browser when a website visitor visits your website. Many applications such as Joomla come with a file named favicon.ico included with the files, so you may consider changing this to something that represents your website. Changing the favicon is a fairly simple task.
How To Change the Joomla Favicon
- Create an image to that is 16×16 pixels
- Second you would need to convert the image into a ico file. Here is a list of some third party websites that you can use to help in this:
- Now that you have a created the image and saved it in .ico format, you will need to upload the file using FTP or File Manager to the templates directory. For example, if you installed Joomla to your public_html folder, you would upload this file to ~/public_html/templates/<your template> directory and replace the favicon.ico image that is already in that folder named favicon.ico.
View Your Favicon Image
Now open a browser and see if it shows up. If so, you are all set. If you do not see your favicon image show, not to worry you might just be loading a cached version of the site. First, try refreshing the website with CTRL + f5 to perform a hard refresh. If that still did not help then you will have to clear the browser’s cache.
Clear Your Browser’s Cache
- Mozilla / Firefox / Safari: Hold down Shift while clicking Reload, or press Ctrl-Shift-R (Cmd-Shift-R on Apple Mac);
- Internet Explorer: Hold Ctrl while clicking Refresh, or press Ctrl-F5;
- Konqueror: Simply click the Reload button, or press F5;
- Opera: Completely clear your cache in Tools→Preferences.
- Chrome: Shift + F5
If you have any questions or need any additional assistance, please contact us in a Live Chat, phone call or submit a ticket so that we can help you with creating and uploading your favicon.