How Do I Connect To The Server Via SSH?
The following guide is a tutorial on how to access your Cloud, VPS or Dedicated server via SSH through the command line.
- First, you will need to install an SSH client on your computer.
- For Windows, you can use PuTTY, for Linux and Mac operating systems, you can use the built in Terminal.
- Next you will need to check your welcome email, which will include your servers dedicated IP.
- Type this IP in the Host Name field.
- If you already have a domain associated with this server, you can use that as well.
- Next you will want to make sure the port is set to your SSH port, by default this is 22.
- If you have modified this manually, or paid for Hostwinds Windshield Security Service then the port will be different.
- Once you have the information put into the listed fields, you will click the “Open” button to begin your SSH session.
Once you click “Open” a new window will open, depending on the operating system, it will be asking for your username/login name, and then your password. Please note that the password box will not update as you type it in. This is a security measure, once the password is typed, press enter to authenticate.
If you have saved a private SSH Key to your computer and not configured this through Cloud Control to be automatically added when connecting to a new Instance, you will want to load the Session you created, and go to SSH > Auth > Browse your computer for your private key. Then, go back to Session and save these settings to load your private key.
You are now connected to your server using SSH!