LiteSpeed is a web server developed and owned by LiteSpeed Technologies. HostWinds installs the LiteSpeed Web Server Enterprise Edition (LSWS) on all Business Web Hosting servers to provide the fastest possible performance for multiple websites.
LiteSpeed Technologies also offers a FREE Edition of LSWS called OPENLiteSpeed. OPENLiteSpeed has similar features as the Enterprise Edition, but it lacks several 3rd-party plugins and extensions by comparison.
Installation of the FREE version of LSWS (OpenLiteSpeed) will be covered in this guide.
- A Hostwinds Managed or UnManaged Cloud SSD VPS
- Have already installed Ubuntu 18.04
- Access to your VPS through SSH with a user who has sudo permissions
We suggest taking a snapshot backup of your server before continuing with this guide.
1 – Update System Packages
sudo apt update
2 – Install OpenLiteSpeed Dependencies
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential
sudo apt-get install -y rcs libpcre3-dev libexpat1-dev libssl-dev libgeoip-dev libudns-dev zlib1g-dev libxml2 libxml2-dev libpng-dev openssl
3 – Create Directory
sudo mkdir /opt/OpenLiteSpeed
4 – Check Latest Version of OpenLiteSpeed (Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi, etc)
Use your browser to visit this URL – https://openlitespeed.org/downloads/
5 – Download Latest or Preferred Version of OpenLiteSpeed
6 – Unpack the OpenLiteSpeed Archive File and install
(OpenLiteSpeed will be automatically installed in /usr/local/lsws)
7 – Configure OpenLiteSpeed
Below is the OUTPUT on the screen from command above:
- Please specify the user name of administrator
- This is the user name required to login the administration Web interface
- User name [admin]: <accept default or enter preferred name>
- Please specify the administrator’s password.
- This is the password required to login the administration Web interface.
- Retype password:
- Administrator’s username/password is updated successfully!
8 – Start OpenLiteSpeed web server
sudo /usr/local/lsws/bin/lswsctrl start
sudo /etc/init.d/lsws start
9 – Welcome page is at http://<your-IP>:8088 OR http://<your-domain>:8088
10 – ADMIN page is at http://<your-IP>:7080 OR http://<your-domain>:7080