What Is WordPress?
WordPress is one of the most popular CMSs (Content Management System) available today. It is also available as a free, automatic installation for all of our Shared, Business and Reseller hosting clients! Listed below is a step by step guide for logging into cPanel from your Hostwinds Client Area, and installing WordPress via the Softaculous Apps Installer.
How Do I Install WordPress with Softaculous?
Step One: From your Hostwinds Client Area, select “Manage” next to the service plan that your domain is installed on.
Step Two: On the next page, select “Login to cPanel” from the left hand Actions menu.
Step Three: Once cPanel has loaded in a new tab, move to that tab, and scroll down to the “Software” section, and click “Softaculous Apps Installer”
Step Four: On the next page, under Top Scripts, click WordPress.
Step Five: On the next page, click “Install Now”
Step Six: Next you will need to fill out the required fields, to ensure your installation goes exactly as you want. Once all fields are filled out, click the “Install” button.
- Choose the protocol using http:// or https:// – If you select https:// and see an error, this is likely due to your domain being recently added to the cPanel account, AutoSSL will update the certificate within 24 hours.
- Select the correct domain name from the drop down menu
- Enter the directory, such as blog, or just set it to blank/empty. Leaving this blank will install and overwrite any files that are in the document root of the specified domain. By default, this box contains “wp” so WordPress will be reachable by visiting yourdomain.com/wp.
- Enter the Site Name that will appear at the top of a browser when visiting your website
- Enter your Site Description if you would like to have a subtitle under your Site Name
- Enable Multisite if you would like to utilize this feature
- Enter the admin username other than admin
- Enter the admin password for your user by generating a strong password
- Enter the admin email address for notifications and alerts
- Select your preferred language
- Check the box to Limit Login Attempts
- Click the install button to complete the installation!
The installation process will be shown on screen, once completed you will be shown a summary, including a link to your newly installed WordPress site, as well as a link to your new WordPress dashboard log-in screen.
Your new WordPress installation will now be live and you will be able to log in to your WordPress Dashboard!
[notification type=”alert-info” close=”false” ]Leave directory empty if you want yourdomain.com to use WordPress. If you only want WordPress on a certain directory, put that here. For example /blog – WordPress will be installed in yourdomain.com/blog. If you want to use a directory like this, make sure the directory does not already exist[/notification]
[notification type=”alert-warning” close=”false” ]Leave the database name that it assigns unless you’re comfortable with databases and have already set one up that you want to use[/notification]
[notification type=”alert-danger” close=”false” ]Don’t use admin for your username to login for security reasons[/notification]
[notification type=”alert-danger” close=”false” ]Generate a strong admin password and store this in a safe place[/notification]
[notification type=”alert-warning” close=”false” ]Enable the installation of the Limit Login Attempts plugin[/notification]
[notification type=”alert-info” close=”false” ]By default, your installation of WordPress will upgrade automatically[/notification]
[notification type=”alert-info” close=”false” ]You may also choose to auto upgrade themes and features, although this is not enabled by default in the Advanced Options area[/notification]