There may come a time when your DNS Zone Files become cluttered with useless records, or even duplicates. Fortunately cPanel have thought ahead on this and incorporated a feature into WHM to clean this up for us. WHM provides the ability to run a DNS Cleanup, which will clean up nameserver configuration settings. This is helpful for eliminating duplicate nameserver configuration files that can lead to issues with the server and in the case a BIND configuration file becomes corrupt. Before following through with the steps below, it would be recommended that you take a backup of your current Zone files and configuration files. That way in the event something goes wrong, you will have a restore point.
This process should only be used on servers using BIND nameservers. This would be the default nameserver software that is used on most installations.
How Do I Perform a DNS Cleanup?
- Start off by Logging in to your WHM
- Navigate to DNS Functions in the WHM interface
- This can be located quickly by searching for DNS in the search bar
- Click Perform a DNS Cleanup
- Ensure you have no configurations files open and don’t attempt to edit them during the cleanup process. This could cause some unwanted behavior or mess up the process.
- Click Proceed
After you have clicked on the Proceed button. It could take some time for this cleanup to complete. While it is running, make sure that no changes are made to the configuration files that this is operating on.
- How To Flush Your DNS Cache – A guide that can assist you with flushing your DNS Cache on your local computer.
- DNS Record Types Explained – A brief explanation of what the various DNS Record types are and what they do for your domain name.
- How Can I Check My Current DNS Servers – How you can check what DNS servers your domain name is currently using for the Zone Records.
- What is DNS Propagation – A great explanation of what DNS Propagation is, and why it is relevant to you.
- Reset A DNS Zone – How to reset a DNS Zone file for your domain to use the defaults.
If you should have any questions or would like assistance, do feel free to contact us through Live Chat or by submitting a ticket with our Technical Support team.