What Is The Migration Process?
When signing up for Hostwinds services, we do offer to perform a FREE migration for you with the purchase of any new service. One thing that can be a little daunting is the process that the migration undertakes and want this to be very easy for you so you can start using your services as quickly and effortlessly as possible. This article is going to clear up any of your worries to get your site operating as quickly as possible.
Migration Process Overview
The main migration process takes only a few simple steps.
- Purchase the new hosting plan that you want to migrate to
- Once you have purchased the hosting plan, all you would need to do is to create a ticket with our Technical Support team
- This ticket will provide our Technicians with the necessary information to get your old files and perform the migration as smoothly as possible.
During the migration of your files, you will be informed along the way through the migration ticket. We may ask for any necessary information if the need arises during the migration through the ticket. You can also update the ticket and we would be happy to give you an update or any information that you need along the way.
After the files have been moved over, our Support Technicians will ask that you confirm everything looks good. Luckily there are ways that this can be done without changing your Domain name servers, or where the domain is pointed. You could either Edit Your Hosts File, or use a tool such as hosts.cx. There is always a chance that something may not be exactly how you want it to be, and we want to make sure that everything was done right and that you are 100 % completely satisfied.
Once you have verified that everything has been migrated successfully, you can change your Nameservers (or change your A record), so that your domain will load from your new hosting plan. Do keep in mind that changes to the DNS, whether it be Nameservers or A record can take up to 24 hours to propagate, which is why it is recommended to wait before cancelling your old plan with your previous web hosting provider. How to Add/Modify your A Record is a good reference to show you how to lower your TTLs before making changes to your DNS when instructed to do so by Hostwinds Support Team through the ticket.
- Migration Policy – In this article you will find the details for our Migration Policy.
- What Is DNS Propagation? – More information about what DNS Propagation is and why it may take some time.