So, you’ve decided to build a website. Great! Hostwinds is very proud to offer products that can help you get a site up and running. This guide is designed to help you make a decision about what sort of services we can provide you and which one may work best for you.
What is a shared web hosting plan?
When you order a shared web hosting plan from Hostwinds, we provide you with a platform that allows you to easily set up:
- Email Accounts
- Many other kinds of Web sites
Shared Web Hosting offers a cost-effective, easy solution to hosting a web site for businesses and organizations that rely on web sites for information about their business. It is a great product if you need something that “just works” without needing extensive configuration.
On a Shared Web Hosting plan, HostWinds takes care of many complicated aspects of web hosting for you. If you use this plan, you will never need to do any major configuration changes to your server, it is all set up for you once your service is ready for use.
What is a Cloud VPS plan?
A VPS stands for “Virtual Private Server”. Compared to Shared Web Hosting, these systems are far more customizable. Some of the options you can set up on a VPS include:
- Operating System
- Programming Language
- Control Panel
- Sofware Running on the server
VPS services are great if you or your business need full control over your server to manage and configure it to meet your specific needs, or have outgrown a Shared Web Hosting plan. If you have an application with specific requirements, a Cloud VPS might be the perfect solution for you.
You also get more control with a Cloud VPS, as you may alter the server’s setup to fit the needs of your application. We even offer Managed Cloud VPS Servers, so our support team can assist with the configuration.
Additionally, Cloud VPS Servers have much less strict limits put on them compared to a shared plan. We do not put limits on the number of emails you can send, restrict your script or application memory limits, or inode limits. You have full control over your server.
Which is right for me?
The best service will depend on your needs.
- Want to run a small site
- Use WordPress/html/php
- Need a stable platform
- Want someone else to take care of most of the details
- Want the ability to easily set it all up.
Shared Web Hosting will most likely be your preferred solution.
On the other hand if you:
- Have a site written in Python, Ruby on Rails, or Java
- Need to pick Nginx over Apache for a web server
- Need to use a Windows Operating system
- Want to open a server for gaming
- Need to use a specific set of PHP modules
A VPS will be a much more useful solution.
- For more information on what a VPS is, check out this guide: https://www.hostwinds.com/guide/what-is-vps-hosting-2/
- For more information on what shared hosting is, and some of the limits we place on it: https://www.hostwinds.com/guide/shared-hosting-overview/
- This guide offers a similar comparison between our shared vs. business hosting services: https://www.hostwinds.com/guide/difference-shared-business-hosting/
- Finally, to find out more about how versatile a VPS can really be, read this guide: https://www.hostwinds.com/guide/what-can-you-do-with-a-vps/