So you’ve purchased hosting and you are wondering what are the first steps are. This guide will assist you on how to begin your journey by exploring cPanel and how to upload files for your website. Prior to setting up the host, if you do not already have a domain name registered, you can check availability and pricing here.
How do I Login To My cPanel Account?
- Follow the link in your Welcome e-mail message to your cPanel login URL
- Enter your Login Credentials from your Welcome e-mail message at the cPanel login prompt
- Login to your account at https://clients.hostwinds.com
- Click on the service that you purchased
- Click the Login to cPanel link on the left side of the page
How Do I Upload Files?
Option 1: Use the File Manager Web Interface
Now that you’re logged into cPanel, click the link that says File Manager
Select Web Root under “settings” in the top right and then click Save, or click on “public_html” in File Manager directory.
Click Upload to upload your website
Good To Knows:
Option 2: Using a FTP Client
Once FileZilla is installed, login to your account via FTP:
- Open FileZilla
- Enter your temporary FTP Hostname that is in your Welcome e-mail message
- Next you’ll enter your Username and Password from the Welcome e-mail message (same details as your cPanel log in)
- Navigate to the public_html folder and upload your site
Installing Software via Softaculous
Within all of our Shared, Business, and Reseller hosting packages is the Softaculous App Installer. This is a very powerful tool loaded with hundreds of popular software scripts setup for quick and easy installation. These include but are not limited to: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.
Creating and Accessing Email Accounts
From cPanel, it’s very easy to both add and login to new email accounts. To create a new email account, click the Email Accounts icon in your cPanel and on the resulting page fill in the appropriate details.
In order to log in to created email accounts, navigate to the same Email Accounts page and you will see a listing of your created accounts. Click the “More” drop down menu next to the account in question, then click “Access Webmail” to login. This will prompt for the selection of Horde, Round Cube, and Squirrel Mail (if you would like to understand the differences between the 3, click here) . After selecting a Webmail template, your Webmail will launch.