Termination is a term used to both apply to your products and your account.
For products: it means that it along with any data that was held on it has been deleted.
For your account: it means that it is no longer accessible by you the account holder. All terminations are done by automation in our system and are not something that humans at Hostwinds can prevent when they are triggered.
Why would my account or products be Terminated?
There are four main reasons this would happen:
- A violation of our Terms of Service– This would usually result in your product’s termination and your account closure. The time frame for this is typically instant after we have been notified of the said violation.
- Your non-hourly product went more than 30 days past due- If you have a product that is overdue and has gone for suspension, you will risk termination if you go more than 30 days past due. If you believe that this is a situation that will occur, please reach out to Billing to request a link so you may backup your data.
- Your hourly product did not receive payment before the 14th- Hourly products will go into suspension after the 7th if not paid and will terminate on the 14th if payment is still not received.
- Possible fraud- We use a finely tuned fraud system that will scan orders as they come in. On occasion, it will place a hold and require that we do a manual verification. If the information we ask for to complete this verification is not supplied and reviewed by 5 pm CST, the account and the products are immediately terminated.
- A Dispute or ChargeBack- While technically a violation of our Terms of Service, we prefer to first suspend and give a 14 day period to resolve the issue with Hostwinds before terminated the service. If this is not resolved, termination would occur.
Any other reason a product would be Terminated would be a result of it expiring after a suspension has been put in place.
If my product is terminated, is my data gone?
With nearly all products the answer is, yes, any data on a terminated product is lost as the product that held the data had been deleted. The exception to this would be our dedicated servers. As they are an actual physical product, they cannot be instantly removed. It would not be until the drives from the server are pulled that the data is lost.