Termination is a term used to both apply to your products and your account.
For products: it means that it along with any data that was held on it has been deleted.
For your account: it means that it is no longer accessible by you the account holder. All terminations are done by automation in our system and are not something that humans at Hostwinds can prevent when they are triggered.
Why Would an Account Or Product Be Terminated?
There are four main reasons this would happen:
- A violation of our Terms of Service– This would usually result in the product’s termination and closure of the account. The time frame for this is typically instant after we have been notified of the said violation.
- A non-hourly product went more than fourteen (14) days past due– If a service goes more than one (1) day unpaid it would suspend, if a service is unpaid for fourteen (14) days it will be terminated on the fourteenth (14th) day. This is an automated process, if it appears that payment will not able to be made in time, please reach out to Billing to request a link so you may backup your data.
- An hourly product did not receive payment before the 14th– Hourly products will go into suspension after the 1st if not paid and will terminate on the 14th if payment is still not received.
- Possible fraud– We use a finely tuned fraud system that will scan orders as they come in. On occasion, a hold will be placed and require that we do a manual verification. If the requested documentation n is not supplied and reviewed by 2 PM PST, the account and the products are immediately terminated.
- A Dispute or ChargeBack– While technically a violation of our Terms of Service, we prefer to first suspend and give a 14 day period to resolve the issue with Hostwinds before terminated the service. If this is not resolved, termination would occur.
In the event that an account is terminated for Abuse, the services on the account would be suspended to allow the opportunity to regain the data they may have held. In this situation, it would be up to the account owner to cancel those services.
If My Product Is Terminated, Is My Data Gone?
With nearly all products the answer is “yes.”
Any data on a terminated product is lost as the product that held the data had been deleted. The exception to this would be our dedicated servers. As they are an actual physical product, they cannot be instantly removed. It would not be until the drives from the server are pulled that the data is lost.